Summarized Password Security
- Password strength can be measured with entropy in bits:
Random passwords and Diceware
- Password entropy can be increased by adding more, diverse characters (i.e. lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and special characters like
!@#) and/or by increasing the length:
- Store your passwords with something like KeePass, on a flash drive. KeePass also has an offline random password generator built-in.
- Use randomly generated passwords! (online/offline generator, dice rolling, etc).
- If you need to memorize the password (generally a bad idea), then avoid the most common passwords.
- Avoid sharing passwords, using them on public or untrusted computers, or using them when connected to an untrusted network.
- Don't reuse passwords.